Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chinese proverbs about teachers...thought these were cool

“Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.”

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

“To talk much and arrive nowhere is the same as climbing a tree to catch a fish.”

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

“Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.”

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion.”


I could probably use all of these Chinese proverbs when teaching in both China and the states for both my students and myself. I especially like the second proverb, about involving students in the learning process. If you involve them, they will understand. They will actually absorb the information you're teaching them because it will be more meaningful to them- because they were involved in getting it, instead of just being told or shown.

I also like the second to last one, about asking a question and being a fool for five minutes, versus, not asking a question and being a fool forever. That proverb is so true! There are so many times that there was a distinct opportunity to step up and ask a question, at the point where it wouldn't have seemed that foolish, but waiting and then eventually not even asking the question- you will appear even more a fool..possibly forever.

The last proverb about a wise man making his own decisions versus following public opinion is also very true. We all have people pouring their advice/opinions all over us, but it's ultimately our decision, and it will affect us, not the public around us. It's your own prerogative.

Anyways, need to get going. Have to go get shots for China. I've been pushing this off as long as I possibly can. I hope I don't have to have a LOT! I'm not sure..and I hope they don't make me feel sick or weird.
Later~
Aud